Randy Sprick has worked as a paraprofessional, teacher, and teacher trainer at the elementary and secondary levels. Author of a number of widely read books on behavior and classroom management, Randy is former director of Safe & Civil Schools, a consulting company that provides inservice programs throughout the country. Although Randy is largely retired, his Safe & Civil Schools colleagues continue the work of helping large and small school districts improve student behavior and motivation. Efficacy of that work is documented in peer-reviewed research, and Safe & Civil Schools materials are listed on the National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP). Randy was the recipient of the 2007 Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Wallin Lifetime Achievement Award and was inducted into the Direct Instruction Hall of Fame, along with numerous other awards and honors.
Paula Rich has been a substitute teacher in public schools, was a freelance musician, and taught private music lessons for many years in the Boston, Massachusetts, area. More recently, she contributed original stories and poems to the Read Well curriculum for second-grade readers and edited several of Randy Sprick’s staff development and behavior management books and papers. She was instrumental in developing Connections, Ancora Publishing's online check-and-connect program.
Foundations Module B (Online Video)
Foundations Module B, Managing Behavior in Common Areas and With Schoolwide Policies, delineates processes for ensuring that common areas (arrival, cafeteria, hallways) and schoolwide policies (dress code, electronics use, public displays of affection) are structured for success and that expectations for behavior are directly taught with clarity and repetition to students.
- Presentation 1: Laying the Groundwork for Consistency in All School Settings
- Presentation 2: Structuring Common Areas and Schoolwide Policies for Success
- Presentation 3: Teaching Expectations to Students
- Presentation 4: Effective Supervision, Part 1—Protect, Expect, and Connect
- Presentation 5: Effective Supervision, Part 2—Correct and Reflect
- Presentation 6: Supervising Common Areas and Schoolwide Policies—for All Staff
- Presentation 7: Adopting, Implementing, and Monitoring Improvements to Common Areas and Schoolwide Policies
- Appendix A: Foundations Implementation Rubric and Summary
- Appendix B: Module B Implementation Checklist
- Appendix C: Guide to Module B Reproducible Forms and Samples
The module includes Online Video inservice presentations by Dr. Sprick and colleagues and 8 copies of the related study guide. A CD provides reproducible forms and examples from real-world Foundations implementations. (DVD version also available)