CHAMPS strategies are easy to implement and will:
- Reduce classroom disruptions and office referrals
- Improve classroom climate
- Increase student on-task behavior
- Establish respectful and civil interactions
By following the effective, research-based practices outlined in CHAMPS, teachers develop methods for clearly communicating their expectations on every classroom activity and transition. Expectations to clarify are:
- Conversation: Can students talk to each other during this activity?
- Help: How do students get the teacher’s attention and their questions answered?
- Activity: What is the task/objective? What is the end product?
- Movement: Can students move about during this activity?
- Participation: How do students show they are fully participating? What does work behavior look/sound like?
- Success: When students meet CHAMPS expectations, they will be successful!
KEY BENEFITS OF CHAMPS
- Teachers establish clear expectations with logical and fair responses to misbehavior.
- Teachers spend less time disciplining and more time teaching.
- Teachers learn tools to motivate students to do their best.
- Students are taught how to behave responsibly.
CHAMPS 2nd ed. includes downloadable self-assessment checklists, reproducible forms, certificates and badges, and 66 classroom icons in six different styles.
CHAMPS 2nd ed. is listed on the National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices (NREPP). The online National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices was discontinued in January 2018, but a link to the Safe & Civil Schools NREPP listing can be found here.